Thursday, June 12, 2008

What I do in my free time!

I love cooking, looking for new recipes, and trying them. Being here in Africa I have learned to go back to the basics as the baking items are not easily found. No Crisco, Karo syrup, Bisquick, Mexican foods, or cake mixes to name a few. I found these today and thought that they looked pretty yummy. The only problem is that I will have to wait til I get home to try the Almond Joy Cake, as I have not been able to find chocolate chips here.

...Almond Joy Cake...
It is rich, but really yummy. I would suggest a little whipped cream (fresh if you've got it!) or ice cream with it...
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 C. evaporated milk
1 C. sugar
24 large marshmallows
1- 14 oz bag sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 C. evaporated milk
1/4 C. butter
1- 12 oz bag milk chocolate chips
1 C. toasted almonds
Bake cake mix according to box directions & poke wholes with the end of a wooden spoon. In a large saucepan, combine 1 Cup evaporated milk & sugar. Bring to a boil and stir in marshmallows until melted. Add coconut & pour mixture over cake while both are hot.
Melt together remaining milk, butter & chocolate chips. Stir until melted. Add almonds. Spread on top of cake.


It's heating up in Arizona --It's winter in South Africa--I thought this would be agreat summer dinner!

Katie's Tortellini Salad

4-6 chicken breasts (cubed & soaked in Zesty Italian Dressing)
48 oz. Cheese Tortellini
1 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup Sliced Olives
1 cup Artichoke Hearts, chopped
2 cups Baby Spinach
Mix all together in a large bowl & toss with your favorite Caesar Dressing. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

If any of you try these recipes tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

They look good, I want to try these. It was fun talking to you yesterday, we miss you guys so much. Call anytime you are bored.

Pedaling said...

so yummy - i will put them on my list of things to try- my kids will love em!

Pedaling said...

is there a doctor in the house???

help!!
tj hurt his back running today-
he hurt his back over a year ago and every once in awhile he re-injures it in the same place- all he was doing was running today and upon returning home his back hurt and then hurt more as the day progressed.
the origional injury happened on a trampoline.
He is worried and doesn't know what to do, as he is scheduled to participate in his first triathon on this Saturday.
grrr
any suggestions??

also, i think i hurt my miniskus(spelling?) running, as well, it's been over a week and i still cannot run -as the impact is killer, but we'll discuss that later, right now i'm only worried about the T!

The Heaps said...

mmm...I think I will have to try that Almond Joy cake. Almond Joys are my favorite candy bar. You can call us too you know!