Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Maternity Ward



Maternity ward at the largest hospital in the World!
These two pictures are of the recovery room, after they deliver their babies!
One of my best friends daughter had a baby this week. She had a darling baby girl which they named Elizabeth Kate--Ellie ! It reminded me of a recent visit we made to the largest hospital in the world right here in South Africa. We are so blessed to live in the United States and have such wonderful hospitals.
On this trip we were taking new born blankets and hats to the new mothers. In a previous trip we had taken 2,000 hospital gowns and 4,000 hospital sheets. If the women have no insurance they can come here and for 14 rand which is about $2.00 U.S. they can deliver their baby. The maternity ward and nursery and is a complex of old army barracks.
While waiting for the hospital official to come , we watched 8 very pregnant, definitely in labor women walk past us with file in hand to a wooden bench where they waited their turn to go in and deliver. This hospital delivers about 40 to 60 babies in a 12 hour period. Day in and day out. The mothers are allowed to stay 3 to 4 hours and are then sent home. The delivery area is a large room with 20 beds and only thread bare screens between them. One doctor is on staff and the babies are delivered by "Mid-Wives". After they deliver they are sent to "ward" where there are 24 beds which were all filled and the rest of the mothers were sitting on chairs around the room with their new babies in plastic bassinetts. This hospital delivers over 22,000 babies a year!
The nurse told us that all women are tested for HIV and if infected they start the babies on the antiviral medication right away. I asked if they had trouble getting the medication. They said no, but getting them to take it or bring the babies back is another problem. As we drove into the hospital there were two huge ads on the side of the road that said "Cure AIDS with Herbal Tea"
It has only been recently that the new Minister of Health has started an Aids/HIV program. The previous Minister of Health advocated garlic and herbal teas for a cure. He was actually laughted out of the UN meeting on Aids prevention.
The blankets and hats had been donated by a young women group from the states and came in 6 huge boxes which where put in shopping carts by the hospital and then rolled to the recovery area. Our mistake was not opening the boxes and checking them before we arrived. Some of the blanket had been make out of rough upholstery fabric. We were quite embarrased and set those aside. The nurses asked us what we were doing with that material. They wanted everything we had as some women who come to deliver don't have anything to wrap their babies in and they send them home wrapped in a plastic bag or the disposable pad they just delivered on! Three set of twins had been born that morning! We noticed that women were feeding their babies out of small cups --we were told that bottles and nipples are not available to the poorer mothers so they feed their newborns with these small cups. They try very hard to get these mothers to nurse their babies and try to teach them nutrition, but thy don't have the man power or funds to keep it going. This may be a project that they might want us to undertake.
Experiences like this make you realize how blessed we are to have had our children under better circumstances! Most of all our grandchildren had better circumstances too!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't believe it, those women look so tired and miserable. If you do take this on as a project I would be more than willing to help.

The Heaps said...

I have never felt so blessed to live in the united states and have the wonderful care that we have here! I would be happy to help too. My ward has a wonderful humanitarian leader and we are always looking for projects to do! Let me know!

Krista said...

oh man am I grateful for what I have here in the US of A. Thanks for sharing this...very interesting!

sandyseashells said...

What a special experience.It brings this scripture to my mind. Romans 12:13 Distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. The word hospitality means "love of strangers", and this is precisely what the apostle Paul was calling us to do in Romans 12. This may call us outside our comfort zone to show love & care to those that God brings across our path. "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels." God bless you. Sandy (Sheila's sis)

... said...

Hello my name is Krystal Sorensen, I came across your blog through a friend and their friend. Anyways, I am from Utah, and currently we are living in Minnesota with about 10 other married couples also from UTah while our husbands do door to door sales. The Utah wives were asked to come up with a Huminatarian project for the ward out here. After coming across your blog I thought what a great opportunity it would be for us to help out with something at this Maternity Ward. After reading your blog and noticing you are serving a mission in Africa I thought this would be such a great opportunity, because you have the opportunity to see these things for real, while we are stuck here hearing about it. These women in this Maternity Ward break my heart and I hope that if there is something we could do to help we would love the opportunity. My blog is dksorensen.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for your time. If you could please contact me I would love to hear from you and we would love to help with something. My email is krystalsorensen4@gmail.com

Pink Caboose said...

this makes me feel bad about being nervous to have a baby here in the USA. I can't imagine going through what the women there do. This post helps us spoiled Americans stay humble and grateful. Keep the posts coming.

em said...

Hello..my name is Emily. I came across your blog through a friend of a friend's, and thought I would comment. My husband and I spent two months living in Mocambique, Africa while we were on study abroad with BYU. We traveled to Swaziland and South Africa, so you posts have been so much fun for me to read since I have been there! I was wondering (like the other comment that was left) if there would be a way to do a family or ward service project where we could make and send items that could be of use there in the hospitals. I had heard of women wrapping their babies in newspaper to come home from the hospital in Mocambique, and that just breaks my heart. If there is something we could for a service project, would you please let me know when you get a moment to respond? Thanks for you time!
emilycales22@hotmail.com
-Emily